We are excited to announce that as of June 25, 2018, the SafeNet Luna K7 Cryptographic Module used in SafeNet Luna PCIe and SafeNet Luna Network HSMs is now FIPS 140-2 Level 3 validated (NIST Certificate #3205). Both the A Series (Password) and S Series (PED) are validated to FIPS 140-2 Level 3.
It is recommended that customers upgrade to software version 7.2 and run the latest FIPS-validated firmware 7.0.3:
- SafeNet Luna Network HSM 7 – download SafeNet Luna HSM 7.2 software with the 7.0.3 firmware bundled with it (DOW0002875 (KB0017493))
- SafeNet Luna PCIe HSM 7 – download the 7.0.3 firmware via DOW0002872 (KB0017490)
About FIPS / NIST
FIPS 140-2 is the benchmark industry leading security certification and demonstrates compliance to an established set of security requirements for cryptographic modules defined by National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST).
The certification involves both functional testing alongside structured code review by a nationally accredited laboratory to confirm the product complies to the claimed level of security. As an output of this process a detailed report is generated which is further reviewed and scrutinized by a panel of government experts at either NIST or CSE ahead of certificate award.
- NIST Certificate #3205 can be found on the NIST website
- Firmware version 7.0.3 is now listed as the recommended version moving forward for SafeNet Luna HSM 7 customers
- F5 customers (only) wanting to run FIPS-validated firmware must run 7.0.2 on SafeNet Luna HSM 7.1
- Features and benefits for SafeNet Luna HSM 7.2 f/w, released May 18, 2018 are available on the Gemalto Tech Blog
Should you have any questions please contact your Gemalto Sales representative.